Tuesday, March 04, 2008

And Justice for All

Its been awhile since i posted here, i had become bored with blogging. I initially found it to be the best outlet to vent out my thoughts and opinions on issues and the world surrounding me. After awhile i didn't see the point of it anymore and just got bored. But the now a lot is happening around us and I have just realized that this may be my best outlet after all.

I have always felt strongly about politics and current affairs, and these election season for some reason or another seemed exciting to me and hence i decided to volunteer in a campaign. I chose to volunteer for an opposition party here in the Klang Valley thru the reccomendation of Pusat Komas a local human rights NGO , and have since been going to their operations room regularly to help out in whatever way I can. The main reason i volunteered is for the simple reason that just yacking away in the coffee shop ain't gonna change the world, why not get involved for a change? the idea made sense to me and I just signed up, it just seemed to me the right thing to do.

Now that I have signed up, have I any regrets? NO!... yeah I didn't really know what to expect from it all . I show up for a few hours a day whenever I can, and just do whatever is required to be done at that given day or moment. Leafleting and canvasing is fun albeit tiring, and the best part of it is that I got to meet lots of like minded people and personalities who are totally committed to a just and democratic Malaysia. Its truly refreshing indeed. But most importantly i feel that I am a part of something important, and that is a bloody good feeling. Yeah BN will almost certainly win the elections, but at least I can say to myself " I did what I could".

This saturday I will vote for the first time in my life, and I'm really looking forward to it as its my chance to say NO! to a system I despise. Its off course upsetting to hear that the Election Commission will not be using indelible ink this time around due to reasons of "national security" and off course to uphold the constitutional right to cheat by the incumbent. But then think about it, all is not lost. Every registered voter still has his or her vote, and that to me counts for something. It means that everyone still has the right to vote for change, and if the vast majority of people actually decide to do so then no amount of cheating will be ever able to stop that. That is to you my friends " People Power". We owe no one nothing, and its our right to be served by a clean and fair government who is accountable for every action it carries out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For all the Msians who have been pissed off, neglected, marginalised...vote anything and everything but BN